Be a Coach!
Now recruiting for spring! Join us in changing the lives of girls in Silicon Valley!
As a volunteer “coach” you will work with a partner coach and group of 5-20 girls. Coaches guide the girls through identifying a problem in their community and solving it over the course of 12 weeks. Most importantly coaches tell girls they are powerful, important and valued. The coach position is a dynamic and rewarding experience that leads to connections with girls and other adult women in your area, implementation of a social change project and a contribution toward putting women at the global leadership tables.
Watch our coaching video here!
To become a coach, apply here:
Download 10.11 SV Coach Application
- Benefits: Read what women have to say about the life-changing experiences as GFC coaches! You'll also gain:
- A NETWORK OF PROFESSIONAL WOMEN
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT TRAINING
- GROUP MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- FACILITATION SKILLS
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- COACHING SKILLS
- PUBLIC SPEAKING AND FUNDRAISING SKILLS
- CREATION OF SOCIAL CHANGE IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GIRLS
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
When: You will meet with girls once per week. This is a 10-15 hour per month time commitment from either August-December or January-May. The time you spend will change the lives of girls. The GFC program cycle begins with a coach orientation in either August for the fall cycle or January for the spring cycle. The program ends with a celebration of the team's work after 12 weeks.
Where: Girls who are members of GFC are either in middle school or high school. On the coach application you will be able to tell us your preference for location and times of meetings so that we can match you with the team that best fits your schedule. Coach opportunities are available in Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and Alameda County.
Training: We also offer monthly coach training sessions that assist coaches in working with teams, youth development, managing a social change project in partnership with girls and networking with other professional women. GFC coaches also say that their GFC training enhances their professional skills - from communication to project planning. All coach trainings are offered on a Thursday evening and a Saturday morning. Once you are accepted as a coach, you will receive a calendar of all orientation and training dates in your area.
- Ability to fully commit to a 12 week volunteer assignment from August-December or January-May
- Ability to attend MANDATORY coach orientation and at least 2 monthly trainings throughout the program cycle
- Willingness to be screened and fingerprinted.
- Willingness to work in partnership with another volunteer coach.
- Desire to encourage, inspire, empower, ignite and engage young women to develop their leadership abilities and implement social change projects.
- Willingness to be flexible and open to the organic process that youth projects often take.
This spring GFC will embark on a new evaluation process that presents a unique professional development opportunity for Coaches. In partnership with the Thrive Foundation, GFC will implement this pilot program with five (5) Girl Action Teams.
As part of the evaluation pilot, GFC Coaches will be asked to fulfill evaluation requirements that take 1-2 additional hours of volunteer time each month. Coaches will participate in additional youth development training, have access to research based materials and implement new activities to the GFC program. We are very excited about exploring this new process and we might ask you about participating when you apply!
Want to learn more?
Check out our Coach FAQ
For more information contact:
408-529-9046 or firstname.lastname@example.org